Wednesday, March 21, 2007

What is Bluetooth?

Some years back, I had a fight with a hefty guy in my neighborhood. After that day, he never fought with me, not because he was sacred of me, but because I don’t want that heavy punch again on my face :-). My face was fully swollen, and one of my teeth changed its color. Since then people call me the Bluetooth guy :-).

Jokes apart, let me explain to you what exactly this Bluetooth is…

Bluetooth is basically a kind of Wireless Technology which is being used for short-range communication between portable or fixed devices. It’s a low power, low cost technology used by a large number of people across the globe. Any Bluetooth enabled device, almost anywhere in this world, can connect to other Bluetooth devices in its range or proximity. The approximate range of Bluetooth which is being commonly used in Mobile Phones is around 10 meters (or 30 feet).

It can handle both data and voice transmissions simultaneously.

It can be used for various purposes:
  • Data transfer between a number of devices. Data can be in the form of different file formats eg.mp3, wav, mpeg, txt, jpeg, bmp, pdf etc..
  • Hand-free headset for voice calls
  • Printing and Fax
  • Synchronizing PDAs, Mobile Phones, Laptops
  • Etc… etc…

There are 2 types of specification versions available:

  1. Version 2.0 + Enhanced Data Rate(EDR)
  2. Version 1.2

MORAL of the Story: You dont need to fight with a Wrestler, when a Mobile Phone solves the purpose :-).

Check out some interesting Questions related to Bluetooth in the Forthcoming Posts…

No comments: